2017 Legislative Assembly — September 22-23
Legislative Assembly is an annual event. All school directors are encouraged to attend in order to help set the course for WSSDA's advocacy efforts. The assembly is a director's chance to vote on and prioritize the association's legislative positions. District staff are also invited to attend, but only school directors may address the assembly.
Date & Time
The Legislative Assembly will begin at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, September 22 and will conclude on Saturday, September 23 after voting on the 2018 Legislative Proposals has been completed. The event will be at:
2017 Legislative Assembly Agenda Draft
- Southcenter Doubletree
16500 Southcenter Parkway Seattle, WA 98188
Get Ready for the Assembly by Joining our Informational Webinar
We're holding a webinar to orient school directors on WSSDA’s current legislative positions and the proposals the assembly will be voting on in September. You'll hear from WSSDA Legislative Committee members as they share strategies for working with your boards, prior to the assembly, so that they are ready to vote on and prioritize positions at the event in September.
Sign up for the webinar
- 2017 Legislative Positions: Full compilation of WSSDA’s 2017 Legislative Positions organized by category (Learning, Teaching, Leadership, Governance, Funding & Allocations), and 2017 Position Quick Reference Spreadsheet (Excel)
- 1-Pagers: These documents group like-positions (including any pertinent WSSDA Permanent Positions) to more easily navigating WSSDA’s 2017 legislative positions.
- K-12 Learning Standards and Assessments
- Teacher Recruitment, Retention, Certification, and Professional Development
- Governance Positions: Local Control, State/Local Government Provisions, Employee Provisions
- Funding, Compensation, Levy Reform
- K-12 Facilities and Capital Construction
- 2017 Legislative Position Priority Listing: Priority ranking results from the 2016 Legislative Assembly.
Who should attend?
All school directors are encouraged to attend the Legislative Assembly. District staff are also invited to attend, although only school directors may address the assembly and only one director per district may vote on each issue. While legislative representatives from each district normally serve as delegates to the assembly, voting credentials may be shared among attending directors at each board’s discretion.
Legislative Assembly Policies and Procedures
- Legislative Assembly Board Policy and Procedure 1290 and 1290P (WSSDA)
- Legislative Advocacy Program Procedure 2082 (WSSDA)