School Board Legislative Representatives
Welcome Legislative Representatives. Here you will find information on your role as a Leg Rep, WSSDA resources, and updated information on legislative activities.
About legislative representatives
Legislative representatives are elected or re-elected by their local boards each year to serve as their district’s liaison on legislative issues. They inform their boards of legislative developments and contact legislators to support the legislative program.
The following are the responsibilities of a local board’s legislative representative:
- Review WSSDA legislative proposals with their board prior to the annual Legislative Assembly and, when appropriate, submit proposals to the assembly. Represent their board at the Legislative Assembly and Legislative Conference.
- Provide legislative updates periodically at board meetings. Share information from WSSDA publications.
- Contact legislators at appropriate times when issues require it and monitor developments at both the state and federal levels.
WSSDA legislative resources
Legislative Update Webinars
- Special Session Week 4 Update Webinar, 5/19 and PowerPoint
- Sine Die / Special Session Week 1 Update Webinar, 4/28 and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 15 Legislative Update Webinar, 4/21 and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 14 Legislative Update Webinar, 4/14 and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 13 Legislative Update Webinar, 4/7 and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 12 Legislative Update Webinar, 3/31 (start at minute 38 in the video) and PowerPoint (see slides 19-33) (download)
- Week 11 Legislative Update Webinar, 3/24 (video) and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 10 Legislative Update Webinar, 3/17 (video) and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 9 Legislative Update Webinar, 3/10 (video) and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 8 Legislative Update Webinar, 3/3 (video) and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 7 Legislative Update Webinar, 2/24 (video) and PowerPoint (download)
Week 6 Legislative Update Webinar, 2/17 (video) and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 4 Legislative Update Webinar, 2/3 (video) and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 3 Legislative Update Webinar, 1/27 (video) and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 2 Legislative Update Webinar, 1/20 (video) and PowerPoint (download)
- Week 1 Legislative Update Webinar, (video) and PowerPoint (download)
WSSDA Legislative Committee Members: Each WSSDA Director Area elects two (DA 2 elects four) individuals to serve annually on WSSDA’s Legislative Committee. These individuals are great resources for Legislative Representatives in navigating the legislative process and WSSDA positions.
WSSDA’s 2017 Legislative Session Updates: Includes Legislative Session Summary documents and weekly updates/bill watch lists during the legislative session. Follow us on Twitter during the session for more frequent updates! #wssdaleg
Important resource links
Legislative Bill tracking: Log-in to the Legislature’s web site to follow the bills you are most interested in. To dig in deeper, help us out by completing a Bill Analysis and sharing your thoughts on the opportunities and challenges bills may present school districts.
Washington State Fiscal/Budget Information: Provides easy-to-access interactive state budget documents along with agency summary documents and spreadsheets.
Priorities and Positions: View WSSDA’s legislative positions and priorities.
Watch on TVW: TVW is a great resource where you can watch hearings live, or go to the archives to view past hearings of interest, just select the date and committee.
Education association partners
Washington Association of School Administrators (WASA) Legislative Updates: This Week in Olympia (TWIO) provides in-depth information and insights on hot issues that are also relevant to school directors.
Association of Washington School Principals (AWSP) Legislative Updates: If you are interested in seeing legislative issues through the eyes of school principals, AWSP’s updates will provide you the insight you need!
State Board of Education (SBE) Legislative Updates: Anyone can sign up to receive these updates that occur regularly during the legislative session and periodically during the interim.